A cutting-edge technology in virology research
InfectinTM is a viral infection enhancer designed to facilitate viral penetration of the cortical actin barrier, thereby greatly enhancing productive viral infection. InfectinTM can be used to facilitate the infection of a variety of host cells by different viruses and viral vectors. InfectinTM can enhance viral infection rates by 5 to 20 fold. Virongy developed InfectinTM based on the scientific theory that the actin cytoskeleton is a natural barrier for viral entry and post-entry intracellular migration (Yoder et al., Cell, 2008, 134:782). Infectin-2TM is our second generation of InfectinTM that is formulated mainly to enhance viral infection of adherent cells, which is frequently also limited by poor absorption of virion particles to target cells. Infectin-2TM combines our proprietary technology of InfectinTM with additional technologies that promote viral absorption onto target cells.
- Once thawed, Infectin-2TM should be stored at 4oC, and is stable for 3 months. Do not re-freeze and do not leave Infectin-2TM at room temperature.
- Infectin-2TM viral infection enhancer works with most cell lines to enhance viral infection. On average, Infectin-2TM enhances productive viral infection by 3- to 20-fold*.
- Infectin-2TM is formulated as 10 X concentrated.
(*The degree of enhancement is affected by the types of viruses and cells. Enhancement is strongest for enveloped viruses entering cells via membrane fusion.)
- Enhancing lenti- or retroviral transduction of target cells
- Enhancing infection rates of other enveloped viruses
- Facilitating recovery of infectious viruses from cell or tissue cultures
- Facilitating anti-viral drug screening efficiency
Table 1. 10 X concentrated Infectin-2TM
Example – Infectin-2TM enhances Lenti-VSV-G(GFP) particle transduction of Hep G2 cells:
- Count Hep G2 cells to be infected and seed ~1 x 105 cells per well into 12-well plates (0.5 ml per well). Culture cells until cells stably adhere to the plates (4–12 hours).
Note: Cell viability should be ≥ 80%.
- Before infection, wash cells with 2 ml medium, and leave 250 μl medium in each well.
- Pre-treat cells by adding 25 μl of Infectin-2TM (10 X) so that the Infectin-2TM concentration is 1 X. Mix and incubate for 30–60 minutes.
- Add virus to the cells and mix. Note volume of virus used.
- Add Infectin-2TM (10 X) in an amount equal to 1/10 of the virus volume used, g., if 100 μl of virus is used, add 10 μl of Infectin-2TM. Incubate at 37°C for 4-6 hours.
- Add 2 ml fresh media to wash cells.
- After washing, add 2 ml fresh complete medium.
- Culture infected cells for 2-3 days to signal detection.
Example of results from our customers:
Infectin-2TM enhances Lenti-VSV-G(GFP) lentiviral particle transduction of Hep G2 cells:
Hep G2 cells were transduced with Lenti-VSV-G(GFP) lentiviral particle (with a GFP reporter) in the presence or absence of Infectin-2TM. Reporter expression was quantified with flow cytometry at 2 days post transduction.
Selected publication from our users
DeMarino, C., Cowen, M., Pleet, M.L., Pinto, D.O., Khatkar, P., Erickson, J., Docken, S.S., Russell, N., Reichmuth, B., Phan, T., et al. (2020). Differences in Transcriptional Dynamics Between T-cells and Macrophages as Determined by a Three-State Mathematical Model. Sci Rep 10, 2227.
Fu, Y., He, S., Waheed, A.A., Dabbagh, D., Zhou, Z., Trinite, B., Wang, Z., Yu, J., Wang, D., Li, F., et al. (2020). PSGL-1 restricts HIV-1 infectivity by blocking virus particle attachment to target cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.
He, S., Hetrick, B., Dabbagh, D., Akhrymuk, I.V., Kehn-Hall, K., Freed, E.O., and Wu, Y. (2020). PSGL-1 blocks SARS-CoV-2 S protein-mediated virus attachment and infection of target cells. bioRxiv.
Infectin-2 is intended for Research Use Only and is not for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes or uses in humans or animals.